Starting in 1845 the catholic missionaries did as good a job as any in converting the people of Wallis to Christianity. The island is ringed with grand churches, all facing the sea. They are made from local basalt and styled on the churches and cathedrals of Europe with many local flourishes. A huge effort and expression of faith for such a small population. Here are a few examples.

 

Original mission church ceiling panels

Original Mission Church stained glass

Carved Lectern

Interior decorations for priest’s “frocking”

The “Cake Church”